The Spanjaardsgat consists of two defence towers built by County Henry III. The left tower is called ‘Grenade Tower’. Because homing pigeons were kept in the right tower of William of Orange, it was named ‘Dove Tower’. Now, the towers serve as chapels and the Dove Tower also houses the information centre of the Netherlands Defence Academy of which the KMA is part.
Many people think that the ruse with the peat ship took place here in 1590, but it happened a bit further, near the present KMA sports ground. Turf skipper Adriaan van Bergen then recaptured the Castle from the Spanish by smuggling soldiers of Prince Maurice inside the castle walls by hiding them in his ship.